1998-2013 Harley-Davidson® Sony DSX-M80 Installation Guide
Please follow these installation tips when you're ready to install your new Sony DSX-M80 bundle in your 1998-2013 Harley-Davidson® Touring Motorcycle.
These tips are intended to be used in conjunction with our full installation video below:
Step 1: Installing your Sony Bundle:
The Body: This consists of the Sony head unit chassis, dash kit and all our custom wiring. These items will be preassembled for you when your kit arrives at your door.
You're going to install this first!
Follow the disassembly process in the video above to remove your factory Harley-Davidson® radio. Install your new Sony head unit bundle and make all the wiring harness connections: the main harness connection to your Harley-Davidson® factory harness connection, AM/FM antenna connection, rear speaker harness (If selected), Sirius XM tuner and your provided Sony microphone connection if you desire to use voice commands or talk on the phone.
- All of the plugs in our wiring harness are keyed plugs, which means they will only fit their match on the Harley-Davidson® wiring connector/plug side. All you're doing is matching plugs - it may look like a lot of wiring but it's simple. Double check that all connections made to this point are fully connected.
- In addition, all the plugs connected to your vehicle will not be reused. Don't be alarmed if you have plugs that were removed from the factory radio and not reused with our bundle.
Additional Sony Bundle Notes:
- The ASWC-1 hand control module will not be connected to the harness. It will be in the parts bag. You will add this to the harness in Step 3 below.
- Our Sony DSX-M80 bundle is not compatible with bluetooth headsets or wireless Apple CarPlay/Android Auto.
- Our bundle is also not compatible with Harley Davidson® CVO models equipped with a Harley Boom amplified system.
Step 2: Initial Start Up:
After making all the connections noted in Step 1, turn your ignition switch to accessory power (without the ASWC-1 attached).
- Initial boot up/initialization of the Sony DSX-M80 can take longer than a minute so don't be alarmed if your system doesn't immediately turn on.
- Keep your head unit powered on for 3 to 5 minutes before moving to step 3 to allow your kit to fully initialize with your Harley-Davidson.
Step 3: ASWC-1 Module Installation & Initialization:
While still in accessory power, connect the ASWC-1 module to the 12-pin connector on our harness labeled "SWC".
- Look for rapidly flashing lights to begin flashing in the indicator window on the top of the module.
- Immediately then hold the volume up button until you receive a solid light in the indicator window.
- When the light goes solid, release the button and test your functions on your hand controls.
- If your hand controls didn't initialize correctly, use a small pick tool, screwdriver, or paper clip to depress the reset button (other small hole that does not contain the light)
- When the reset button is pressed, the indicator light should begin flashing again, and at this time hold the volume up button again until the light goes solid.
- Check your hand controls to ensure they're functioning. Repeat the reset process if they are not.
Additional Sony Installation Tips:
- AM/FM Antenna: When looking at the back of the Sony radio, the AM/FM slot is a circular plug on the lower left-hand corner of the rear of the device. Plug the factory AM/FM cable into this circular plug.
- Sony Microphone: You will need to use the provided Sony microphone with our bundle if you desire to use voice commands or talk on the phone.
- Maintaining Sirius/XM: Your new Sony DSX-M80 plug & play bundle is Sirius/XM expandable. Connect your SXV300v1 to the back of the Sony head unit and use the supplied antenna. If you are already a Sirius/XM user, contact Sirius/XM to have your service transferred to your new tuner.
- Use a Factory USB Cable: Using a factory Apple lightning phone cable or Android phone cable when making your connection is an absolute must. When we say factory, we mean just like the cable that originally came with your phone. It cannot be a cable that you bought from the grocery store or Amazon - those are, in most cases, charging cables and not charging/data cables. Also, remember - phone cables don't last forever - if you have connectivity issues in the future try to swap for a new cable. Also, frequently restart your phone as a way to prevent connectivity issues.
Rear Speaker Harness: If you have bag lid speakers, tour pack speakers or any other rear speaker kits, you will also need to connect the rear speaker adapter harness (if selected at checkout). This adapter harness will connect directly to the 23 pin factory connector.
Congratulations on installing your new Sony bundle! Don't forget to share your before and after photos with us! Also, tag @notecycles on your favorite social media channel.
Ask A Question: